Our friend Paige, from Learnfit.org is visiting us again. This time she had found some interesting and unusual ways of exercising.
If you dread going to the gym, getting in those miles, or hitting the saddle for the spin class, today is the day to stop dreading workouts! Here are some unique ways to burn calories without focusing on each passing minute.
It’s true that not all exercises are created equally. For instance, some burn more calories than others, but that shouldn’t be the totality of how you choose workouts. What about having fun? Working on agility, speed, quickness, or balance and not solely on muscle hypertrophy or burning fat?
Really sticking to a healthy lifestyle means finding selections you enjoy. Here are a few to check out if you want to have a blast while optimizing your health:
- Skip and jump rope. It really can be that easy. Jumping rope is surprisingly very difficult for most adults upon revisiting the activity for the first time since childhood. However, it’s also a massive calorie burner and there’s a reason it’s a staple in boxing training. It combines cardio with balance, endurance, strength, and agility. It’s very demanding, so alternate it with simply skipping instead of running. Take a cue from the kids on the playground!
- Pole dancing. It doesn’t matter if you identify as female or male—really! Pole dancing has gained popularity over the years as a workout, but still many people haven’t tried it for a number of silly reasons. Some don’t think they can be “sexy” (not true), others are scared of the logistics of pole climbing, and some don’t think they’ll fit in. Pole dancing requires amazing strength and balance in ways you’ve never encountered before. Plus, many studios offer non-pole options like burlesque classes. All ages, genders, and abilities are welcome.
- Learn to drive a racecar. Racecar driving is definitely a sport, albeit a costly one. However, if your budget is generous or if you’ve souped up your own muscle car, learning how to drive like a pro can also come with a side benefit of a great workout. It takes an immense amount of strength to handle such a machine like an expert, as well as training. It might not be an ongoing workout for everyone, but if it’s on your bucket list you can certainly count your sessions as part of your recommended 150 minutes of exercise per week.
- Walk a dog. Owning a dog that requires daily walks can be a powerful motivator to get in multiple walks each day. In fact, almost half of dog walkers got an average of 30 minutes of daily exercise at least five days a week, but only a third of those without a dog got that much exercise on a consistent basis. Don’t have a dog or care to get one? Thanks to services like com, you can become a dog walker and get paid to burn calories on the regular.
- Hit the slip ‘n’ slide. Summer’s almost here, and that means finding creative ways to cool off. Staples of yesteryear, like running through the sprinklers and gliding down a slip ‘n’ slide double as fun, cool ways to sneak in a workout. If you’re around kids, lead the way and introduce them to the go-to entertainment options before screens were the most popular pick.
- Facial yoga. Yes, it’s exactly what it sounds like, but it’s not found in most traditional yoga studios. Fortunately, there are many online videos available, most of which are free. Yoga is about balance, flexibility, and stress release. We hold a lot of tension in our faces. Right now, your tongue is probably pressed against the roof of your mouth! Face yoga helps work very under-worked muscles, and some swear that it can help tighten muscles/skin for a more youthful and relaxed appearance.
Make your workouts fun again and sample everything that’s out there. You might be missing out on your favorite exercise.
Today I´m very excited about this post. This is my first collaboration post, ever! I´m collaborating with my friend Sareena, the awesome blogger behind The all of it blog. Fortunately, she has more experience than me in this sort of post, and working with her was an absolute pleasure.
She showed up with a lot of topics and we choose happiness. Happiness is a familiar topic for me, not because I am a very happy person, but because I studied philosophy. Back in the day, I decided to study philosophy because I needed to understand what it is needed to be happy. Happiness is a fundamental concept in philosophy and I already had to write about it for several teachers. I never imagined that I would write about happiness again. I really enjoyed writing this post, revisiting old Greek authors, old pieces of advice, realizing which ones worked for me… A million thanks, Sareena!
In philosophy, happiness translates the Greek concept of eudaimonia, and refers to the good life, or flourishing. Aristotle stated that the happy life is the good life, that is, a life in which a person fulfills human nature in an excellent way. Since man is a rational animal, human happiness depends on the exercise of his reason. Happiness is not pleasure, nor is it virtue. It is the exercise of virtue. Happiness depends on acquiring a moral character, where one displays the virtues of courage, generosity, justice, friendship, and citizenship in one’s life. These virtues involve striking a balance or “Mean” between an excess and a deficiency.
From Tales to Adorno, all philosophers have reflected on happiness and good life, so we have a wide variety of opinions on what´s happiness and how to be happy. Exploring philosophical, cultural and historical variation in concepts of happiness is the best way to realize that happiness is a fuzzy concept.
Psychology reduces happiness to a mental or emotional state of well-being which can be defined by, among others, positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. Since the 1960s, happiness research has been conducted in a wide variety of scientific disciplines, including gerontology, social psychology, clinical and medical research and happiness economics. In my opinion, it´s pretty interesting how science tries to probe and translate to cold scientific language things that philosophers and poets said thousands of years ago.
“The physician heals, Nature makes well” Aristotle
Spend time outdoors. Recent studies show we spend too much time enclosed in buildings and vehicles. Up to 90% of the time, we´re inside. This is not just unhealthy but unnatural.
By definition, a jail is a place for the confinement of people accused or convicted of a crime. If you haven´t committed a crime, why do you confine yourself? How are you going to be happy if you´re punishing yourself by locking yourself? Happiness is outdoors!
Go outside and enjoy nature, earth and sky, lakes and rivers, beach and mountain. Time outdoors will improve your mood, self-esteem, creativity as well as your vitamin D levels. Also, many studies have found that regular exposure to nature helps to reduce mental fatigue and relieve stress reducing cortisol levels.
Make being outside a ritual, try gardening, find a trail, go to a local park or just sit outside quietly and appreciate the natural beauty around you! Notice the scents, sights, and sounds as you sit quietly and focus on the moment.
“A healthy mind in a healthy body” Juvenal
Exercise. Science can´t explain how it works yet, but exercise brings feelings of euphoria and general well-being. Endorphins, Serotonin, Norepinephrine, it´s not clear what causes these feelings.
A recent research shows that while many people started an exercise program to lose weight and improve their appearance, they continued to exercise because of the benefits to their well-being. Physical activity is an elixir of life, not a punishment for bad numbers on the scale. Give yourself 30 minutes a day to take care of your body, and you´ll see awesome improvements in your mood.
“The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best” Epictetus
Enjoy time with friends. There is no better way to spend our time in this world than doing activities that we like with people we like. Recent studies about friendship and happiness have found:
- Friendship is the single most important factor in determining a person’s happiness.
- Those who considered friendship very important were more satisfied in every category from their health, their personal achievements, their safety, their relationships and their lives as a whole.
- For married people, their level of happiness is significantly dependent upon the intensity of their friendships.
- Single people who think of themselves as being extremely happy and who believe friends are important are happier than married people who do not think friends are very important.
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything” Plato
Not just music, but arts in general. Make more art. In 2010, researchers analyzed more than 100 studies about the impact of art on your health and your ability to heal yourself and published the results in the American Journal of Public Health.
From five visual arts studies mentioned in that review (visual arts includes things like painting, drawing, photography, pottery, and textiles), the researchers described the impact that visual art activities had on the patients:
- Art filled occupational voids, distracted thoughts of illness.
- Improved well–being by decreasing negative emotions and increasing positive ones.
- Improved medical outcomes, trends toward reduced depression.
- Reductions in stress and anxiety; increases in positive emotions.
- Reductions in distress and negative emotions.
- Improvements in flow and spontaneity, expression of grief, positive identity, and social networks.
The impact of art, music, and writing can be seen in your physical body as well. In fact, this study published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine used writing as a treatment for HIV patients found that writing resulted in “improvements of CD4+ lymphocyte counts.” In other words, writing actually impacted the cells and improved their immune system.Build something. Share something. Craft something. Make more art. Your health and happiness will improve!
Build something. Share something. Craft something. Make more art. Your health and happiness will improve!
“The happy man is the one who has a healthy body, a wealthy soul and a well educated nature” Thales
For many, formal education ends after secondary school or university. Of course, adults learn things outside of formal education such as how to manage their finances and make a success of their personal lives. Many will learn new skills in the workplace, and some do courses as part of their professional development. Continuing to learn well into adulthood is beneficial to health and happiness. Never stop learning!
These are my tips for you: enjoy time outdoors, with friends, take care of your body, express your creativity, and never stop learning. What are Sareena’s?
Dear fellow coach/trainer,
Would you like to get more followers and drive more traffic to your blog? Would you like exposure for your content? I have no advice to get more followers, traffic or exposure. But I do have an offer you shouldn´t refuse.
Back in the day, I started blogging as all of you, with no followers and thousands of questions. After two years of daily posting, I´m proud to say I have thousands of followers and a bunch of answers.
There are some well-known strategies to get your blog out there, like awards, tags, and so on. Between nominations and invitations, I realized guest post worked better for me. It´s logical, I got invited to write about fitness at any blog, some followers of this blogger like what they read and they decided to follow me as well.
I will be in debt forever with Kally, at Middleme for showing up in my email with a great idea, exercising at the workplace. Besides all the fun, the biggest advantage for guest authors are the free backlinks, traffic, and subscribers they receive.
In the other hand, I had the chance to be the host. Again, more followers and traffic. I dare to say it´s a win-win situation. That´s why I openly invite you, fellow trainer, to write a guest post for this blog.
I can offer you 2000 WP followers, almost 3000 followers on Twitter, and near 1000 on Facebook. But most important, a great and active community I love and care about. So, a positive and encouraging message towards a healthy living is required.
Please, email to email@example.com if you´re interested.
As you may imagine reading the title, today is a special day! If you have been following my blog for a while, probably you have noticed the Fitfluential badge but no sign of sponsored post anywhere. This is not a sponsored post either. How to make money blogging is a hot topic any given day of the week, and I want to share my experience with all of you, brothers and sisters bloggers. You made it possible and this milestone is much more yours than mine!
How to make money blogging is a hot topic any given day of the week, and I want to share my experience with all of you, brothers and sisters bloggers. You made it possible and this milestone is much more yours than mine!
New bloggers and new followers may be wondering what am I talking about so, let me explain them and remind you how it all started.
Fitfluential is a huge community of fitness enthusiast but also a platform which connects fitness brands with fitness bloggers, YouTubers, Instagrammers, etc. Anyone who wants to apply for Fitfluential Ambassador has to meet some requirements: followers, daily unique visitors, and so on.
I became Fitfluential Ambassador thanks to your continued support to my blog. So, I will never get tired of saying thank you, dear bloggers!
Once I got in, I realized it wouldn´t be easy to take part in a campaign. Why? Because usually, things are more complicated than they seem. This wasn´t going to be any different 😀 Fitfluential is an outstanding platform based in the USA. The brands give their newest products for free and pay for reviews. But only to US and Canada based influencers. The problem is I live in Spain, and I´m not moving to the US just for a pair of shoes and protein shakes. The thing is I couldn´t apply for any campaign until now.
FitFluential is now partnering with Find Your Influence, a leading influencer marketing technology platform, and I have received a new campaign offer from Sony! Probably, I won´t get paid because influencers have to pay taxes, they have to fill the W-9 form, and there is nothing like that for foreigners (yet?). Anyway, I was looking forward to getting involved in an influencer campaign, so I did! If you only do things for money you´ll do very few things in your life.
Do you want to know what the campaign is about? It has nothing to do with fitness, haha! But I just loved it when I saw it! Jenna Elfman has a new TV show. Her imaginary friend promises lots of laughs! Tuesdays at 9:30/8:30c on ABC!
Please, like and retweet to celebrate the milestone!
Big hugs, my friends 😀
Thirteen months ago, I received one of the most exciting emails of my life, from Stanza. Long story short, after an interview they invited me to use their app and get involved in Nike´s 21-day challenges. Since then, I´ve been thinking, overthinking, and working on my own calendar, trying to find a way to make it helpful and easy to use (myself included).
Thirteen months later, I think I´ve found it! And it feels REALLY good 🙂 If “Get in shape” is one of your resolutions, you don´t want to miss this!
In a single category, you have three daily events with different goals. Each event has multiple routines, you only have to choose the one you want to do. Circuit training to lose weight, strength training, back pain relief, and so on. Currently, there are 17 different routines, but the number is going to get much bigger. Organized like these, I can easily add more routines, but I don´t have to create more events a day.
Well, take a look to my new landing page first, and then I´ll tell you how it works, with more images 🙂
The key in this process is to hit the “Add-to-calendar” button. If you pretend to do exercise, this shouldn´t be an effort, right?
As you see, we have three daily events, but the time is just a way to organize them. Once you sync to your calendar, you can set the time that best suits your daily schedule. Copy the event to your calendar and edit the options. Examples, from Outlook:
You can sync the whole category (recommended to stay updated) or single events, the choice is yours.
I hope you like my little Christmas surprise! Wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year!!
Big hug, David
“I caught the happiness virus last night
When I was out singing beneath the stars.”
Hafiz of Persia